Request to the Department of Environmental Affairs for information relating to ivory stockpiles.
1. The total weight of the national ivory stockpile held by SANParks and other national and provincial governmental and parastatal bodies in South Africa – if these ivory stocks are held by more than one entity, please advise the weight of ivory held by each entity? (Copies of the permits are not required, just the combined information).
2. The total number of ivory pieces held by all entities in point 1 above.
3. The weight of ivory above divided between:
3.1 that arising from natural mortality and culling which may one day be eligible for sale, and
3.2 that arising from confiscations of illegal ivory which may not be available for sale.
4. Are all pieces clearly marked to identify their origin as listed in point 3 above, and are these markings recorded in registers? If so, please provide copies of all the register entries that make up the total weight and number referred to in points 1 and 2 above.
5. When was the stockpile(s) last audited and what was the result of such audit(s)?
6. What is the weight and number of pieces of ivory, if any, arising from the culling operations conducted by SANParks prior to 1997?
Initial request communication
Response receivedResponse date: 2016-08-18
Response nature: Released in part
Received within statutory period: Yes